lost wages for Fort Pierce car accident

Can I receive compensation for lost wages after a car accident in Fort Pierce?

If you are injured in a car accident in Fort Pierce, you may be entitled to receive compensation for lost wages.

The aftermath of a car accident can be physically, emotionally, and financially devastating. If you are involved in a car accident in Fort Pierce and you are unable to work due to your injuries, you need a way to pay for your expenses. Under Florida law, car accident victims are entitled to receive compensation for lost wages. However, certain restrictions apply. Here, our Fort Pierce injury attorneys explain how to receive compensation for lost wages after a car accident in St. Lucie County.


Injured in a car accident in Fort Pierce, Port St. Lucie, Vero Beach or Okeechobee? Contact our experienced car accident attorneys today at 866-930-6435 for a free consultation. We can help you understand your rights and get the compensation you need to cover medical bills, damages and lost wages.

What can you be compensated for after a car accident in Fort Pierce?

Depending on the circumstances of the car accident, you may be eligible to receive compensation for the following:

  • Medical costs 
  • Property damage
  • Lost income (past and future)
  • Pain and suffering
  • Scarring and disfigurement
  • Impairments and disabilities 

Apart from medical bills, loss of income is one of the most significant financial burdens to fall on car accident victims. In some cases, car accident victims may not be able to work for weeks, months, or years.

How to receive compensation for lost wages after a Fort Pierce car accident

Under Florida’s no-fault insurance system, all registered vehicle owners are required to carry Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance. PIP coverage provides benefits to policyholders and their passengers, regardless of who is at fault in an accident. This means that you generally turn to your own PIP coverage first to pay for medical expenses and certain non-medical costs, such as lost wages.

Using your PIP to cover lost wages

Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage can cover lost wages resulting from a car accident, but there are specific rules:

PIP coverage for lost wages: PIP insurance is designed to provide a percentage of your lost wages if you are unable to work due to injuries sustained in a car accident, regardless of who was at fault. PIP typically covers 60% of your lost wages, up to the policy limit. However, the coverage can vary based on your specific policy terms and limits.

Proof of loss of income: To claim lost wages through PIP, you will need to provide proof of loss of income. This may include pay stubs, employer verification, or tax records that show your earnings before and after the accident.

Time limits: It’s essential to notify your insurance company promptly after the accident and begin the claims process. PIP claims typically have time limits, and failing to meet these deadlines could result in a denial of benefits.

Maximum benefit: PIP insurance has a maximum benefit limit, which is specified in your policy. Your lost wages coverage is subject to this maximum limit.

Exclusions: PIP may not cover all lost wages in every situation. There may be exclusions or limitations in your policy. For example, PIP may not cover wages if your injuries aren’t deemed serious enough to meet the PIP benefit threshold. The definition of “serious injury” can vary based on Florida law.

Self-employed individuals: If you are self-employed, documenting lost income may be more complex. It’s crucial to demonstrate the impact of the accident on your ability to earn income.

Why you should consult with an experienced car accident attorney in Fort Pierce

If you’ve been injured in a Fort Pierce car accident and need compensation, contact a car accident attorney right away. As detailed above, the process for claiming compensation after an accident is complex. An experienced attorney will handle this process for you to ensure you receive full and fair compensation.

Injured in an accident in Fort Pierce, Port St. Lucie, Vero Beach or Okeechobee?

Call Hoskins, Turco, Lloyd & Lloyd immediately at 866-930-6435

If you are injured in an accident in Port St. Lucie, Fort Pierce, Vero Beach or Okeechobee, the best thing you can do is call our office and speak with one of our car accident attorneys. Free of charge, we will set-up an in-person or over-the-phone consultation to help you understand your rights and what your next steps should be.

The Treasure Coast Car Accident Attorneys at Hoskins, Turco, Lloyd & Lloyd have over 40 years of experience helping thousands of injury victims and their families recover from serious accidents on the Treasure Coast. We’re experienced, local, and on your side.

Schedule your FREE case review by calling 866-930-6435

Verdicts and Settlements

$1.2 Million

Auto Accident Settlement

$1.6 Million

Wrongful Death Settlement

$11.1 Million

Settlement for motorcycle accident


Ft. Pierce Office
302 South Second Street
Ft. Pierce, FL 34950
Phone: (772) 464-4600
Fax: (772) 465-4747
Port St. Lucie Office
1555 NW St. Lucie West Blvd
Suite 203, Port St. Lucie, FL 34986
Phone: (772) 344-7770
Fax: (772)344-3838
Okeechobee Office
1910 S Parrott Ave
Okeechobee, FL 34974
Phone: (863) 357-5800
Fax: (863) 763-2237
Vero Beach Office
2101 15th Avenue
Vero Beach, FL 32960
Phone: (772) 794-7774
Fax: (772) 794-7773