New Year’s Eve is just around the corner. For many people on the Treasure Coast, the holiday is a time to celebrate with friends and family as we reflect on the past, embrace the present, and look forward to the possibilities that the future holds. But how dangerous is driving on New Year’s Eve?
New Year’s Eve is one of the most dangerous days to be on the road. According to a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, December drunk driving deaths are the highest in almost 15 years. In fact, on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day, drunk driving-related deaths spike 117% above the baseline average. To help keep you safe this holiday weekend, take a moment to review our 5 tips to prevent New Year’s Eve accidents.
5 safety tips for driving on New Year’s Eve
- Designate a sober driver: Before heading out to celebrate, plan for a sober designated driver. Choose someone responsible who can ensure everyone gets home safely.
- Use public transportation or rideshare services: If a designated driver isn’t available, consider using public transportation or rideshare services like Uber or Lyft. These options provide safe and reliable transportation, allowing you to enjoy the festivities without worrying about getting behind the wheel.
- Arrange for overnight accommodations: If your celebration is at a location where you can spend the night, consider booking accommodations. This eliminates the need to drive home late at night, reducing the risk of accidents.
- Avoid distractions: Distractions contribute to a significant number of accidents. Put away your phone, program your GPS before driving, and focus on the road. This simple step can greatly reduce the risk of accidents.
- Drive defensively: New Year’s Eve often sees increased traffic, and some drivers may not be as cautious as they should be. Practice defensive driving by staying alert, anticipating the actions of other drivers, and giving yourself plenty of space. If you suspect a driver is impaired, report that driver immediately. This could save a life.
Cheers to a safe New Year!
Remember, the priority on New Year’s Eve is to celebrate safely and responsibly. By following these driving tips, you contribute to a safer road environment for yourself and others.
Injured in an accident in Fort Pierce, Port St. Lucie, Vero Beach or Okeechobee?
Call Hoskins, Turco, Lloyd & Lloyd immediately at 866-930-6435
If you are involved and/or injured in an accident in Port St. Lucie, Fort Pierce, Vero Beach or Okeechobee, the best thing you can do is call our office and speak with one of our car accident attorneys. Free of charge, we will set-up an in-person or over-the-phone consultation to help you understand your rights and what your next steps should be.
The Treasure Coast Car Accident Attorneys at Hoskins, Turco, Lloyd & Lloyd have over 40 years of experience helping thousands of injury victims and their families recover from serious accidents on the Treasure Coast. We’re experienced, local, and on your side.
Schedule your FREE case review by calling 866-930-6435