In the days following Daylight Saving Time, Treasure Coast residents should drive with caution as roads become darker and more dangerous
Daylight Saving Time ends this Sunday, November 7, which means we get to enjoy an extra hour of sleep. But before you get too excited about a little extra snooze time, you should know that Daylight Saving Time has a dark side.
When the clocks spring forward and fall back each year, it’s only by an hour, but research shows that it takes days to adjust to the new time difference. And during this adjustment period, there is a spike in car accidents, especially after we “fall back” and roadways become darker.
Why do car accidents in Florida spike after Daylight Saving Time?
In a 2021 study by a major insurance company, Florida ranked #6 on the list of worst states for Daylight Saving Time fatal crashes. Why? Florida has a lot rural roadways with limited visibility. Florida also has a high number of pedestrians and bicyclists in November and December when the weather becomes more pleasant.
Safety tips for Treasure Coast drivers:
- Adhere to the speed limit
- Keep a safe distance between you and others on the road
- Always use your headlights during early morning and evening hours
- Ensure vehicle headlights and windows are clean (inside and out)
- Only use your high beams when you are the only vehicle on the road
- Yield to pedestrians
Safety tips for Treasure Coast pedestrians and bicyclists:
- Avoid listening to music so you can hear nearby traffic
- Avoid roads without sidewalks or bicycle lanes
- Do not jaywalk
- Use street corners to enter the crosswalk rather than crossing on a diagonal
- Walk facing traffic if a road does not have a sidewalk
- Wear reflective clothing and use a flashlight
What to do if you have been injured in a car accident in Port St. Lucie, Fort Pierce, Vero Beach or Okeechobee
Call Hoskins, Turco, Lloyd & Lloyd immediately at 866-930-6435
If you are involved and/or injured in a car accident in Port St. Lucie, Fort Pierce, Vero Beach or Okeechobee, the best thing you can do is call our office and speak with one of our car accident attorneys. Free of charge, we will set-up an in-person or over-the-phone consultation to help you understand your rights and what your next steps should be.
The car accident attorneys at Hoskins, Turco, Lloyd & Lloyd have over 40 years of experience helping thousands of injury victims and their families recover from serious accidents on the Treasure Coast. We’re experienced, local, and on your side.
Schedule your FREE case review by calling 866-930-6435