Phones can be a valuable tool in an emergency. If you are involved in an auto accident or are having a medical emergency and unable to communicate, you want those closest to you to know what’s going on and to have a way for first responders to quickly locate vital information about you.
Fortunately, most of today’s smartphones come with a feature that allows your ICE (In Case of Emergency) data, including emergency contacts and vital medical information, to be accessed from your phone’s lock screen
This means your emergency information can be viewed without anyone gaining access to your phone’s secured files, but you must first activate the features.
It only takes just a few minutes to set up your emergency contacts and enter any medical conditions you have that emergency personnel should know while caring for you.
Here’s how to add your medical information to your phone’s lockscreen: (Note: the following instructions may vary depending on the make, model and operating system of your phone)
iPhone users can set up a Medical ID using the built-inHealth app.These are the steps you need to follow:
- Open the Health app and select the Medical ID tab.
- If prompted, tap Create Medical ID. Otherwise, tap Edit.
- Enter any information you want to be available to emergency responders.
- Make sure Show When Locked is turned on. This will allow your Medical ID information to be accessed from your iPhone’s lock screen.
- At the bottom of the Medical ID screen is a section for selecting emergency contacts. These will need to be people who are already in your phone’s contacts list. After you select a contact, the Health app will ask the person’s relation to you.
Now, if something were to happen to you, a helpful stranger, policeman or paramedic can view emergency information from your iPhone’s lock screen: on the left side of the screen, an Emergency option will appear which, when tapped, will display your Medical ID information without your phone having to be unlocked. Setting up your emergency contacts is a simple way to help those who are trying to help you get all of the necessary information they need. While it’s something you’ll hopefully never need, it can offer real peace of mind to know you have it available just in case.
There are a couple of ways to set up ICE contact information on an Android phone.
First, you can add your info to the emergency information feature:
- Open Settings.
- Tap User & Accounts, then Emergency Information.
- To enter medical information, tap Edit information (you may have to tap Info first, depending on the version).
- There’s a separate section where you can enter emergency contacts. To do this, tap Add Contact to add a person from your contacts list.
Once you have set this up, anyone can find your ICE information by swiping up on the lock screen and tapping Emergency, then Emergency information.
Another option is to add your ICE info directly to the lock screen. Android lets you put any message you want on your lock screen:
- Start by opening Settings.
- Tap Security & Location.
- Next to Screen Lock, tap Settings.
- Tap Lock Screen Message.
- Enter the information you want displayed, such as your primary emergency contact and any medical conditions, and tap Save.
Medical information apps for the lock screen
As an alternative, there are a number of medical apps that you can install which will provide necessary emergency information on your lock screen.
One popular free medical app is Medical ID.
In addition to containing necessary information such as ICE contacts, you can include other data like your blood type, allergies, and current medications. Once you have entered your information, a widget will show on your locked screen, making access quick for emergency personnel.
Do your part, #HTLLTellAFriend
Help keep your friends and family safe by sharing these safety tips. As part of our #HTLLTellAFriend safety campaign, Hoskins, Turco, Lloyd & Lloyd will be sharing quick tips to educate people on everyday dangers and lesser-known safety tips.
Be sure to follow us on Facebook to receive the latest updates.
What to do if you are injured in a Treasure Coast car accident
Call us immediately at 866-930-6435
Car accidents happen in a terrifying instant that can leave you feeling hurt, scared, and confused about what to do next. One of the most important things you can do is contact the experienced Treasure Coast car accident attorneys at Hoskins, Turco, Lloyd & Lloyd immediately. The sooner you call, the sooner we can help you.
We will do everything in our power to make this difficult time as stress-free as possible, starting with a free, no-obligation consultation. With over four decades of experience, our car accident attorneys know how to settle even the most complex cases. To date, we’ve secured over $500 million for Treasure Coast accident victims.
We’re here to help you. Call 866-930-6435 now to speak with one of our local Treasure Coast car accident attorneys.