Auto Accident Settlement
Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Sebastian
Sebastian and the surrounding area is something of a mecca for motorcyclists. The perpetual warm weather, flat roads, and oceanside views bring bikers from all over the country to our city. Unfortunately, with so many motorcycles on the road, wrecks are bound to happen. And when they do, they can cause serious injuries.
At Hoskins, Turco, Lloyd & Lloyd, our Sebastian motorcycle accident lawyers know firsthand how devastating motorcycle accidents can be. Because bikers don’t have the protection of doors and side panels like drivers in cars do, they are often thrown onto the road during wrecks, which can have devastating effects.
If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a motorcycle wreck, you have legal options. Call a motorcycle accident attorney at (772) 794-7774 or contact us online today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
What Causes Motorcycle Accidents?
The majority of motorcycle accidents involve other vehicles. Cars may strike a motorcycle head-on, or they may hit them from the side. Some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Cars making left-hand turns: These cars may hit a motorcycle as the bike is trying to pass them, or they may try to make a left turn in front of a motorcycle going straight through an intersection. Because motorcycles are harder to see on the road, other vehicles may not realize they’re there until it’s too late.
- Speeding: Both bikers and other vehicle drivers are often at fault for this cause of accidents. Some motorcyclists may take advantage of their own small size and zip around other vehicles. Other drivers may be going too fast to see and react to a motorcycle until it’s too late.
- Lane splitting: Lane splitting is the act of a biker going in between two rows of traffic. While there are some benefits of lane splitting, such as reducing traffic, it’s illegal in Florida. Lane splitting can be deadly, especially if a driver tries to change lanes or otherwise obstructs a biker while he or she is trying to drive in between traffic.
- Road hazards: Because motorcycles are small and less stable, road hazards can be extremely dangerous to bikers. Something as simple and common as sand on the road can cause a motorcycle to lose traction, causing the biker to wreck. In some cases, the local or state government can be held liable for hazards in the road.
Seeking Compensation after a Motorcycle Accident in Sebastian
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your injuries. Unlike other vehicles, bikers are not required to carry personal injury protection (PIP) coverage. This is a double-edged sword. While you are more easily able to seek compensation after a wreck, if the accident was your fault, you may be on the hook for all of your own expenses.
If you are attempting to seek compensation for your injuries, you must prove the other driver either caused the accident purposefully, or he or she acted negligently. Unfortunately, intentional collisions aren’t uncommon in motorcycle accidents. Other drivers may be frustrated with how easily a bike navigates through traffic and may take an irrational step to injure the biker.
However, negligence is much more common. Negligence occurs when a person causes injury by acting in a way that a reasonable person wouldn’t. In order to prove negligence, you must show that the other driver’s action met four main criteria:
- They had a duty of care to you, such as following all traffic laws to avoid causing a wreck (all drivers have this duty of care).
- They breached this duty of care, such as by running a red light or changing lanes in a dangerous manner.
- Their actions directly caused your injuries, such as throwing you off your bike.
- There were real compensable damages, such as medical bills and property damage.
How Much Is Your Case Worth?
No matter who you talk to, any lawyer worth their salt will answer this question with, “I don’t know yet.” Before a Sebastian motorcycle accident attorney can put a number value on your case, they must first conduct an investigation to determine the losses you suffered. These losses can be economic or noneconomic.
Economic compensation, or damages, is related to the real monetary loss you suffered because of the wreck. This may include past and future medical bills, property damage, lost wages, out-of-pocket expenses, and more. You can help your lawyer by keeping all receipts, invoices, and bills to show how much money you have lost as a result of your motorcycle accident.
Noneconomic damages are intended to compensate you for the less tangible losses you suffered. These may include pain and suffering, mental anguish, loss of enjoyment in life, and more. Because you can’t just produce a receipt to show these losses, your attorney will work with a team of professionals to prove you deserve compensation for noneconomic damages.
In some cases, you may also be entitled to punitive damages. Punitive damages are designed to punish the other driver and deter similar actions in the future. In order for punitive damages to be assessed, you and your lawyer must show that the other driver acted with intentional misconduct or gross negligence.
Speak with a Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Sebastian Today
The period after a motorcycle wreck can be highly stressful. You may be in the hospital for weeks, unable to work while your medical and other bills pile up. If you have been injured in this type of wreck, you do have legal options. The Sebastian motorcycle accident lawyers at Hoskins, Turco, Lloyd & Lloyd can help.
We have recovered over $500 million on behalf of our clients throughout the Treasure Coast. We have the experience and knowledge to take on the insurance company, both in and out of court, and get the compensation you deserve.
Call a motorcycle accident attorney today at (772) 794-7774 or contact us online today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
Verdicts and Settlements
Wrongful Death Settlement
Settlement for motorcycle accident
Ft. Pierce, FL 34950
Port St. Lucie, FL 34952
Okeechobee, FL 34972
Vero Beach, FL 32960
The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience.
We are a debt relief agency and attorneys. We help people file for Bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code. The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free information about our qualifications and experience.